Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Protein Powder

     Protein powders are something that a weight lifter always has at their disposal, but why? Well first off, simply, protein is the nutrient found in food that helps to rebuild muscles and make them stronger. Protein is found in meats, beans, milk, and even oatmeal. So what makes protein powder so special? It's a great ingredient to have at your disposal because: 1. It's a meal simply made of of mot much else than protein, and 2. It's simple and doesn't require any cooking.

      I have tried a few different protein powders, all coming from whey. Whey is just a byproduct from making cheese, which comes from cows. I don't have any experience with egg protein powders or anything else besides whey. For me, whey works just fine. Now, if you'll notice. I said in #1, "It's a meal..." I said this on purpose. Using protein powder is a meal substitute. You put the powder in milk or water and drink it to get a quick blast of protein to your system after a workout. This is the equivalent of eating a piece of grilled chicken or a bowl of beans. The difference is that is just quicker and easier to make. If you really wanted to, you could grill up a piece of chicken right after your workout, or open up a can of bean and eat that, it's no difference from what using whey protein can do for you. Whey protein powder is not a magic muscle builder, you won't gain any more muscle from drinking it than you would if eating any other food item that is packed with protein. About an hour before your workout, or right after your workout, scoop some protein powder into a glass of milk or water and drink and start your muscle regeneration process. Every other meal of the day should be a protein packed meal (based on your weight) with some type of meat and/or vegetable and a fruit.

Healthy N' Fit 100% Whey Amino
     Now that we know a little more about protein powder. What kind should you use? Well, that's really up to you. For myself, I have been using Healthy N' Fit's 100% Whey Pro-Amino. I got the reference from a client of my mother's and have never used anything since? Why is this? Do they pay me? Heck no, I'm just a kid. It's because it's good! In a serving size it says that there is 45g of protein. However, this is kind of deceiving because a serving size is 1 1/2 scoops. One scoop is 30g of protein, which is PLENTY for most people. Furthermore, it has 0 grams of saturated fat and less than 2 grams of fat in just one scoop. To make it even better, it has only 2g of carbohydrates and 140 calories in just one scoop. All of this in a protein powder? Can it be true? Yes! I challenge you to go into your own stash of protein and look at its nutrition facts.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein

     For comparison, I will use Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Gold Standard. For one "rounded scoop" there is 120 calories,  .5g of Saturated fat (bad fat), 3g of carbohydrates, and finally and in my opinion most importantly, 24g of protein. First, I don't want any saturated fat in my protein powder, I just want protein. Secondly, ON's protein powder only has 24g of protein in their scoop. Now depending on your protein needs you may or may not need more, but I'd rather have more in a scoop. Of course you could get by just fine using ON's protein powder with a cup of milk added, that would be just fine. Now as for cost, they're right about the same. You could find ON's protein in any GNC store. However, I have found that it is harder to find Healthy N' Fit's protein in a store, so I just buy it online. Prices for things online change constantly but as I look for it right now, a cost for a 5lb jug of each is about the same. Google each for yourself. DON'T spend $15 for a pound of Jillian Michael's protein that you find in the supermarket. It's nowhere near worth the $15 and is no different than the two proteins I just listed. Around $40 for 5lbs of protein or $15 for less than a pound of protein with some celebrity trainer's name associated with it. It's not worth it!


Jillian Michael's Whey Protein
Don't be cheated when buying protein, buy healthy and buy cheap.

Take Care,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment